Based at California Polytechnic State University (Cal Poly), San Luis Obispo, the Ethics + Emerging Sciences Group is a non-partisan organization focused on the risk, ethical, and social impact of emerging sciences and technologies.
8 March 2022: We will give a briefing on data ethics to a DARPA ISAT workshop on wearable technologies.
11 March 2022: Prof. Stuart Russell (Berkeley) will give an invited talk at Cal Poly on human-compatible artificial intelligence
29 April 2022: We will be giving a briefing on emerging threats at the Center for Homeland Defense and Security, Naval Postgraduate School.
23-24 June 2022: We are co-organizing a workshop and will be giving a talk on AI policing at Northwestern University.
19 July 2022: We will be giving a talk on military AI ethics to the US Army War College.
21 July 2022: We will be giving a conference panel talk on AI ethics at Santa Clara University.
The Latest News
12 September 2022
8 September 2022
15 July 2022
7 July 2022
1 July 2022
22 June 2022
11 May 2022
28 April 2022
4 April 2022
24 March 2022
19 March 2022
2 March 2022
22 September 2021
5 July 2021
31 May 2021
18 March 2021
8 February 2021
More news here.
• Chapter: Does Just War Theory Extend to the Space Frontier?, in Military Space Ethics
• Paper: Rule by Automation: How Automated Decision Systems Promote Freedom and Equality, in Moral Philosophy and Politics
• Chapter: Outer Space as a New Frontier for Technology Ethics, in The Oxford Handbook of Philosophy of Technology
• Paper: Big Brother Goes to School: Best Practices for Campus Surveillance Technologies During the COVID-19 Pandemic, in Techné (Society of Philosophy and Technology)
• Report: Artificial Intelligence Ethics and Predictive Policing: A Roadmap for Research, funded by the US National Science Foundation
• Book: Robot Ethics 2.0: From Autonomous Cars to Artificial Intelligence, with Oxford University Press
• Report: UAS (Unmanned Aerial Systems) Traffic Management: Recommendations for Seamless Integration, with WhiteFox Defense Technologies
• Report: Ethics of Hacking Back: 6 Arguments from Armed Conflict to Zombies, funded by the US National Science Foundation
• Report: Autonomous Vehicles, Ethics & Law: Toward an Overlapping Consensus, with New America Foundation
• Chapter: Why Ethics Matter for Autonomous Cars, in a Daimler and Benz Foundation book
• Report: Enhanced Warfighters: Ethics, Risk, and Policy, funded by The Greenwall Foundation
• Book: Robot Ethics: The Social and Ethical Implications of Robotics, with MIT Press
• Book: What Is Nanotechnology and Why Does It Matter?: From Science to Ethics, with Wiley-Blackwell
• Report: Ethics of Human Enhancement: 25 Questions & Answers, funded by the US National Science Foundation
• Report: Autonomous Military Robotics: Risk, Ethics, and Design, funded by the US Office of Naval Research
More publications here.
| Copyright © Ethics + Emerging Sciences Group
All trademarks, logos and images are the property of their respective owners.