Based at California Polytechnic State University (Cal Poly), San Luis Obispo, the Ethics + Emerging Sciences Group is a non-partisan organization focused on the risk, ethical, and social impact of emerging sciences and technologies.
7 November 2022: We will be participating in an expert meeting of Schmidt Futures' AI2050 initiative in Portola Valley, CA.
30-31 March 2023: We will be organizing an expert workshop on outer space cybersecurity at Stanford University.
20 April 2023: Prof. John Sullins (Sonoma State Univ.) will give a university lecture here on experiments with inner dialogue for social robotics, or "the conscience of the machine."
3 May 2023: We will be giving a talk on emerging threats at the Center for Homeland Defense and Security at the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, CA.
10 May 2023: We will be giving a talk on technology ethics for the Naval Postgraduate School Center for Executive Education in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.
23 May 2023: We will be giving a talk on outer space ethics, incl. security concerns, at Vandenberg Space Force Base, CA.
13-14 July 2023: We will be organizing an expert workshop at Cal Poly on the ethical/social impacts of AI kitchens and robot cooks.
The Latest News
28 August 2023
21 August 2023
18 August 2023
30 June 2023
22 May 2023
17 May 2023
5 May 2023
24 April 2023
9 April 2023
30-31 March 2023
16 December 2022
12 December 2022
8 December 2022
3 October 2022
12 September 2022
8 September 2022
15 July 2022
7 July 2022
1 July 2022
More news here.
• Paper: Deepfake Pornography and the Ethics of Non-Veridical Representations, in Philosophy & Technology
• Chapter: Does Just War Theory Extend to the Space Frontier?, in Military Space Ethics
• Paper: Rule by Automation: How Automated Decision Systems Promote Freedom and Equality, in Moral Philosophy and Politics
• Chapter: Outer Space as a New Frontier for Technology Ethics, in The Oxford Handbook of Philosophy of Technology
• Paper: Big Brother Goes to School: Best Practices for Campus Surveillance Technologies During the COVID-19 Pandemic, in Techné (Society of Philosophy and Technology)
• Report: Artificial Intelligence Ethics and Predictive Policing: A Roadmap for Research, funded by the US National Science Foundation
• Book: Robot Ethics 2.0: From Autonomous Cars to Artificial Intelligence, with Oxford University Press
• Report: UAS (Unmanned Aerial Systems) Traffic Management: Recommendations for Seamless Integration, with WhiteFox Defense Technologies
• Report: Ethics of Hacking Back: 6 Arguments from Armed Conflict to Zombies, funded by the US National Science Foundation
• Report: Autonomous Vehicles, Ethics & Law: Toward an Overlapping Consensus, with New America Foundation
• Chapter: Why Ethics Matter for Autonomous Cars, in a Daimler and Benz Foundation book
• Report: Enhanced Warfighters: Ethics, Risk, and Policy, funded by The Greenwall Foundation
• Book: Robot Ethics: The Social and Ethical Implications of Robotics, with MIT Press
• Book: What Is Nanotechnology and Why Does It Matter?: From Science to Ethics, with Wiley-Blackwell
• Report: Ethics of Human Enhancement: 25 Questions & Answers, funded by the US National Science Foundation
• Report: Autonomous Military Robotics: Risk, Ethics, and Design, funded by the US Office of Naval Research
More publications here.
| Copyright © Ethics + Emerging Sciences Group
All trademarks, logos and images are the property of their respective owners.